I Started to Get Mad!

Once upon a time, I was a young college student trying to find a job.  I went on many job interviews.  In retrospect, I'm not very good at job interviews.  I can't be good at them or I'd have gotten more jobs.

My husband has been offered a job at every interview he's ever had.  That makes me feel bad.  I'm happy for him, but I still feel inadequate.


In about 1999, I had an interview in a seedy part of what we country folks call Pittsburgh.  It really had some other name, but we figure anything that's close to Pittsburgh is just Pittsburgh.  It was in such a scary neighborhood, my dad drove me to the interview.

I was decked out in my business suit with crisp resumes inside my briefcase.

Inside the office building, I was greeted with a room full of people.  It was not a job interview.  This was an employment opportunity.  Since I traveled almost an hour, I stuck around to figure out what's going on.

In the midst of a PowerPoint presentation, I started to get mad.  The opportunity I was being presented in a room full of job seekers was nothing more than a pyramid scheme.  To make things worse, the very cheerful presenter made us respond outloud to awful cheerleader prompts.  "Do you want to make money?"  Everyone shouted, "YES WE DO!"  I was fuming.

I stayed long enough to ask one question, "if this isn't a pyramid scheme, why does it look like a triangle when you draw it on the chalkboard?"

As soon as I got home I called Channel 4 Action News to alert the public to this company and their scam.  People were writing checks to get started on their way to being billionaires.  I couldn't let it go.

Later in the week, I was interviewed on the college campus.  I sat up straight and gave my very coherent testimony which included the announcement, "I started to get mad."  My voice squeaked horribly at the end.  I know this because I watched myself squeak those words every fifteen minutes on the following Saturday morning news cast.  "I started to get mad."  That was all they showed of me.  I looked like an idiot (not as much of an idiot as some of the people that lost money at their interview.  At least the news pointed out that I was smart enough not to buy into it).

The attorney general did subsequently shut down the "program".

My husband still mocks me over my appearance on local tv.  I'm glad that we were technologically in between VCR and DVR with no way of recording that newscast.  The memory is embarrassing enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.