Traumatized by a Guppy

After the sting of our fish tragedy fade, the three of us humans went to PetsMart to buy a new aquatic pet. Jar Jar was behaving strangely (probably the grief) and I was still maintaining a whole fish tank for one puny Molly. Since Martha's death, I worried that the water was too cold. I had purchased a heat light for Jar Jar. Tim made fun of me. Somehow having more than one fish would make all of this worthwhile.

We selected two Guppies. Julia named the white one, Whitey. She calls the orange male, Rainbow.

Julia loves the name "Rainbow."

All was well in the fish department until I decided to clean the tank. Julia and Tim were entertaining each other so I headed off to complete the chore. I worked efficiently, scrubbing the empty tank while the three fish were swimming in a little soup bowl.

With everything rinsed, I filled the tank with fresh water. I remembered to add a cap full of water conditioner.

Carefully, I sloshed down the hall with the crystal clear tank. As I rounded the bend into Julia's room, I was met with a horrible sight. The Guppies were on the floor!

"What did you do?" I squeaked.

No one responded. I put the fish tank on the dresser and quickly picked up Whitey. She felt a little dry. I dropped her in the water. Next, I picked up Rainbow. Clearly, he'd been out of the water for less time. I plopped him in too.

The two jumpers swam around nonchalantly. My heart was in my throat. Would they survive?

Jar Jar looked smug when I dumped him from the safety of the soup bowl into the clean tank. I think he may have pushed his new house mates. Or they could have been reenacting scenes from Finding Nemo. Perhaps they were inspired by my spirited reading of The Lorax by Dr. Seuss.

“You're glumping the pond where the Humming-Fish hummed! Oh their future is dreary. They'll walk on their fins and get woefully weary in search of some water that isn't so smeary."

Guppies cannot "walk on their fins."

More than a week after their foray onto the carpet, both are still alive. I am traumatized. I don't want to clean their tank again. Those little buggers can jump. I can't handle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.