Nana's Life Saving Wheat-Free Cookies

During the dark days of my FODMAP elimination, I felt like I couldn't eat anything. Simultaneously cutting lactose, fructose, and wheat out of my diet left me with my choice of corn or rice. As long as they weren't combined with lactose or fructose. There weren't enough allowed carbs to make me ever feel full, especially since I don't call a meal "over" until there's been dessert.

I love dessert.

My mom loves to feed me dessert which is why we've had a perfect relationship for all of these years. She's been baking chocolate chip cookies and pies and other gloriously delectable goodies for me in particular ever since I started on solid food. It was difficult telling her I wouldn't be able to eat any of it, even if it was just for fourteen days.

"She looks too skinny," my dad announced when they visited me on day two.

By the weekend, I might have eaten a cardboard box if it was dipped in chocolate. Fortunately, Mom used her superior kitchen ingenuity to modify a recipe just for me. She sent me home with a gallon-sized zip lock bag of wheat free cookies. They were a lifesaver.

Julia asked if she could have one and was denied.
"Why?" she wanted to know.
"Because you can eat any cookie in the world and I can only eat these cookies right now so BACK AWAY from my cookies!" I told her.

After two days eating the my "mommy cookies" with wild abandon, I realized that I can't eat a whole bunch of oatmeal in one day. Also, peanut butter was restricted during the elimination phase. Oops.

But one or two a day went well. I froze them and exercised self control. And it's a good recipe to have around if I ever decide I can't handle any wheat. I'm not there yet, but you never know.

Recipe for Nana's Life Saving Wheat-free Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies


A wheat-free peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie.

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup oat bran (grind oatmeal in the blender or purchase oat bran)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.