Award Winning Gnocchi

Ingredients for gnocchi
This gnocchi (my mom's recipe) was voted Best Gnocchi in Washington County by a radio station in the late 1990s.

My sister risked life and limb during an ice storm to bring a bowl of potato pasta goodness to the morning DJs. Mom's dish bested the other competitors. My sister lived to tell about it.

There's since been a bit of a family kerfuffle because I may have mentioned (in the privacy of my own home) that I think my gnocchi is better than my mom's.

Thanks Julia, for repeating that to Nana. I'm in a different county now, I'm sure there's room enough for two awesome gnocchi makers. Right, Mom?

At any rate, this recipe is the single best reason I can think of to make a whole lot of mashed potatoes. We always save our left overs and look forward to their second life as Italian pasta. Soon I'm going to get adventurous and try knocking off the Olive Garden's chicken & gnocchi soup or make up a batch of gnocchi primavera.

Ingredients

Mashed potatoes (about one cup)
Egg
Salt & Pepper
3/4 cup Flour plus additional for kneading/rolling
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 cup cream cheese

Directions

Combine mashed potatoes, egg, about half of the flour, salt & pepper to taste, Parmesan and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.

Mix until a soft dough forms, adding flour as needed to achieve a dough-like consistency. Dough will be sticky.

Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead in additional flour if needed to achieve a workable dough. Divide into three parts and roll into a long tube about 3/4" diameter. Cut into pieces with a butter knife.

Freeze on a baking sheet and transfer to freezer bags for later use.

Drop fresh or frozen gnocchi into salted boiling water. They will float when done. Top with sauce and enjoy!

Note: I usually make half right away and freeze half for another night as we're really feeding only 2.5 people (Julia has a kid sized portion.) This recipe yields about 6-8 servings depending on how hungry your family is feeling. Adjust the recipe to how much potato you have by using less flour and cheese. Always use one whole egg, but you can go with less mashed potato and make a single serving rather than a double.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.