Creamy Squash Soup

It never occurred to me to make yellow squash into soup. Julia got the idea from a library book about Iroquois Indians. She was very interested in Native Americans for a bit after attending Adventures in Pioneer Living, a week long camp at a local museum. She dressed like an Indian and learned how to grind corn. They also talked about the "three sisters" which made me glad Julia's yellow squash was doing so well. It's actually the only thing we're growing with any success this year. And it's on my short list of things I can actually eat. So when Julia suggested making Squash Soup, the answer was a definite yes.

Creamy Squash Soup

1 - 1/3 cup milk
2/3 cup vegetable broth (I used water because no mixed veggies yet)
 4 medium sized yellow squash chopped into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
lemon juice
1/4 cup butter

Put milk, vegetable broth (or water) and yellow squash in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for ten minutes.



Transfer half of the cooked squash in batches to a blender. Puree until smooth. Return pureed squash to a clean pot. Add cheddar cheese, a hearty squeeze of lemon juice and butter. 



Stir over low heat until cheese is incorporated. Garnish with additional cheddar cheese. Enjoy with a lovely French baguette. Then tell me how that was because I can't eat bread!


The beautiful part of this soup is that my daughter, a girl that turns her nose up at almost anything she deems to be new or different, ate a whole bowl. Then she said, "I would have that again, mommy!" So, in spite of my urge to tweak this recipe, I'm going to leave well enough alone. After all, we're growing a lot of yellow squash here and she likes it... she really likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.