Trespassing for Wild Raspberries

Raspberry bushes in my very own yard.
There are a lot of great things about summer: vacations, time off from school, sunshine, swimming pools. My favorite summertime occupation and resulting treat is the wild raspberry. Not those bloated pink farm raised berries from the grocery store. Wild raspberries ripen to a rich purple black. They stain your fingers and leave tiny little seeds in your teeth. 

They are delicious.


I started picking berries with my family near my childhood home in an extremely rural part of southern Washington County. We had twelve acres of our own property, but the berries were always on someone else's land. In the morning we'd dress in long pants and long sleeves to stalk the country roads for ripe fruit. My dad carried me on his shoulders when I was too young to walk the full distance of our expeditions. When I was older, I carried my own container often eating more along the way than I brought home.

I managed to pass this summer tradition on to my daughter. About a mile from our house, the road is less traveled. Berry plants spill over fences. We walk and collect small handfuls. This summer, we hit the mother lode in our very own yard. Years of carefully removing unwanted burr plants and blackberry bushes has led to a healthy population of our very own raspberry bushes.

The taste of summer without trespassing! The two of us scrambled down the steep hill behind our house and came up with enough berries to bake a cobbler. The recipe calls for six cups, I just put in as much as we collect which has been much less than six cups.


Gluten-Free Wild Raspberry Cobbler 
adapted from a recipe in The Better Homes and Gardens "New Cookbook" 14th Edition

1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1‑To‑1 Baking Flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
6 cups fresh raspberries
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
Vanilla Ice Cream

Preheat oven to 400. For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs; set aside.

Four filling, in a large saucepan combine the raspberries, the 1 cup sugar, and the cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until sugar and cornstarch are fully incorporated and berries have released some of their juices. Stir occasionally. Keep filling hot.

In a small bowl, stir together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Transfer hot filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop topping into mounds on top of filling.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Let cool in pan on a wire rack about 1 hour. Serve over ice cream.

This recipe also works with rhubarb, blueberries, peaches, apples and cherries. What's your favorite summer fruit?

2 comments:

  1. There's a place not too far from where I work that has apple and berry picking. I've never done either, but I really want to. That sounds like so much fun!

    And this cobbler sounds really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even more reason to go pick some now that you have a recipe to try!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.