Chocolate Hermits


My first chocolate hermit came from Joe's Bakery in downtown Washington, PA. My parents and sister adored Joe's donuts, fluffy glazed twists that I didn't really appreciate. Dad let me pick whatever donut replacement I wanted from the bakery counter and my love for the chocolate hermit was born. It was thick and chewy, refrigerator cold and filled with raisins. Eventually, Joe's Bakery stopped making hermits and I had to find my own recipe.

Here's what I found:


This must have come from the internet because I've never had a subscription to "Iowa Farmer." Also, the article "Men, when it comes to sex, less can mean more" provides an interesting means to achieve marital bliss. The article, which I've never had the heart to separate from the hermit recipe, adds a little spice to my cookbook.

Anyway, I make these cookies frequently. They have become one of my daughter's favorites (it's not gluten-free and there's no reason to mess with her cookies to make them wheat-free), but it's not a Joe's Bakery chocolate hermit. It's more of a yummy chocolate drop cookie that we call a hermit. I still long to make that chewy, gooey hermit that only exists in my memory. Until then...



An Imperfect Chocolate Hermit Recipe

1 c sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 T cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips



Gently beat butter and sugar together until just mixed. Add egg and vanilla. Mix. Blend in dry ingredients. Add raisins and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Frost with chocolate icing when cool. Refrigerate. Hermits are best enjoyed cold.


In spite of my best efforts these hermits spread out, losing their lumpy hermity shape.

Dress your hermits up with sprinkles for special occasions. Ours are springy Easter hermits!

So there they are. Delicious, but not it. Have you ever heard of Chocolate Hermits? Do you have a recipe for them?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! But now I'm curious about what the article says. (And my eyesight isn't good enough to tell.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.