National Sneak a Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day

Most gardeners are inundated with zucchini by August. I managed to avoid this difficulty by killing my two potted zucchini plants after harvesting only four fruits. Fortunately, my parents are successful horticulturists. They gifted me a giant basket of zucchini. Even that was more than I could use. My favorite zucchini recipe uses just about one normal sized squash.




So after the death of my own garden, I still got to deal with my own extra zucchini challenge. Faced with squash based meals morning, noon, and night, Julia and I decided to once again participate in a little known holiday:

National Sneak a Zucchini *Into* Your Neighbor's Porch Day (#SneakSomeZucchiniIntoYourNeighborsPorchDay )


Celebrated on August 8th, (I really think it reads better if you're sneaking a zucchini "onto" your neighbor's porch, but who am I to question a hashtag?) the special day was apparently created by an actor called Thomas Roy. Tom and his wife are credited with creating over 80 "special days" on Wikipedia.

Great work if you can get it. This wiki page lists my very own birthday as "Crackers over Keyboards Day." And to think I never knew.

Strategies vary for the actual zucchini sneaking. Miller Lite seems to advocate drinking beer and depositing large squashes throughout the neighborhood in the dark of night. There's interweb evidence that it's some sort of contest to see who can sneak the biggest zuke.

Two hula dancer zucchinis

In my neighborhood, we're the only people that have ever heard of this. We make the rules. They are as follows:

1. The zucchini must be dressed or decorated to look very silly.
2. It is placed on a neighbor's porch within two weeks of August 8th based on a.) when I remember and b.) when we have actual zucchini.
3. All zucchini antics occur in broad daylight. There's very little in this world that will get me out in the middle of the night.

This year, a clown and another hula dancer. Obviously, zucchinis really look
great in a grass skirt.

Just two zucchinis posing on a porch. Nothing to see here.

There's still time to get in on the fun. How will you dress your zucchini? Or are you more of a Miller Lite type participant?

4 comments:

  1. What a creative idea. I hope your neighbours loved their surprises. I sure would have grinned at the thought of finding one of those little dolls on my front porch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were well received. It turns out we weren't the only ones in the neighborhood that didn't have success with zucchini this summer. Probably didn't even need the disguises to unload our extra fruit!

      Delete
  2. Love that y'all participated in National Zucchini day! Who even knew such a holiday existed?

    It kind of reminds me of those cat videos where owners sneakily put a zucchini behind the cat and wait for a reaction. Have you seen those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen a variation where people torture their cats with cucumbers. Funny creatures those cats!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your feedback.